Poor results continue for Hurst Green Youth


Langho 3, Hurst Green Youth 0

Hurst Green Youth‘s recent run of poor results continued as they suffered a derby day defeat against their local rivals Langho.

On a poor playing surface, the Green lads started brightly and, helped by a strong breeze, had their opponents on the back foot for long periods of the first half.

The Green should have opened the scoring after 20 minutes following a mass scramble in the Langho six yard box, which resulted in the ball being deflected over the bar from a couple of yards out. Harri Yerkess was also extremely unlucky as he latched on to a superb clearance from stand-in keeper Max Blewitt and outpaced the Langho defence only to see his effort go inches beyond the far post. Throughout this opening period the Langho goal led a charmed life as Cory Longton delivered several superb corners into the Langho six yard box, but unfortunately the Green lads failed to capitalise.

Sadly for the Green, Langho took the lead after half an hour, following a quick breakaway which ended with Starkie unleashing an unstoppable 25 yarder into the roof of the net. However, the Green lads rallied and Longton was unlucky with a swerving 30 yard free kick which Langho keeper Rodgers tipped around the post.

Half time: Langho 1 Hurst Green 0.

During the opening period of the second half Langho seized the initiative and used the poor conditions to their advantage. Fortunately for the Green, keeper Blewitt was in fine form and produced a couple of superb reflex saves whilst he also raced out of his box on several occasions to help prevent the Green from falling further behind. However, after 65 minutes disaster struck as a clever through ball found Musker racing clear and he gave Blewitt no chance with a cool finish.

To their credit, the Green lads did not let their heads drop as a clever free kick from Longton found Dec Barnes racing in to the box but a superb last ditch tackle prevented Barnes from opening the Green’s account. The Green went even closer when a thunderous cross from Jonny Mort looked destined for the top corner until Rodgers produced another wonder save and tipped his effort on to the bar. With five minutes remaining, the Green knew it wasn’t to be their day as a superb free kick from captain George Young curled agonisingly past the far post. To add insult to injury, in the final minute Langho scored a third goal as substitute Saddique rifled home a terrific strike from 20 yards.

Final score: Langho 3 Hurst Green 0.