Gap at the top is closing on league leaders Chipping

Share this article

Chipping returned to league action at the weekend after a lengthy break which was extended due to the poor weather of late.

Eccles made a couple of changes to his starting line up and handed new signing Dan Walmsley a start.

Chipping started the game well and looked to be in control in the early going. They broke forward a number of times with Pearson charging down the left, and could have opened the scoring on several occasions but for the offside flag. Tarleton created chances themselves but Rosinski in the Chipping goal was equal on each attempt. The game became a far more evenly fought contest as it neared half time and Chipping had started to look a touch shaky right before the whistle. The sides went in even and both returned to the field unchanged to kick off the second half. The second half was to be a different story from the first as Tarleton were the faster out of the blocks and caused Chipping problems from the offset. Coupe and Hobro absorbed a lot of the pressure put on them at the back but it was not to last. As the Tarleton winger broke forward down the right hand side he was challenged by Catt and the ball bounced loose, a lucky deflection saw it fall right into the path of the unmarked Tarleton striker. He collected the ball 20 yards out and burst into the box before sliding the ball round the advancing Chipping goalkeeper to put his side 1-0 up.

Chipping did not take going behind well and began to misplace pass after pass putting themselves under more pressure. They struggled to get themselves back into the game and communication seemed to be lacking throughout. An injury to Green led to him being replaced by Bradshaw in the centre of midfield. Despite this change the Greens still struggled to retain possession in a game which was becoming increasingly scrappy, the heavy pitch probably playing its part. Eccles made two further changes, bringing himself on in place of Hollis before Introducing Ross for Ollerton and adjusting the formation accordingly. As the minutes ticked by Chipping tried desperately to rescue something from the game. Eccles had arguably the best chance, going one on one with the goal keeper but the tight angle made the finish impossible. A flurry of corners and throw ins from the Greens in the Tarleton half could not muster a goal with Bibby striking an effort wide and Ross heading over the bar. For the last five minutes Chipping piled men forward leaving them selves vulnerable to a counter attack but in search of an equaliser. However, it was not to be, and the Greens left the field at full time defeated, losing only their second game in 15 league league fixtures this season. A loss, however, which means things are now tighter than ever at the top of the table with the gap closing on Chipping as league leaders.

After the game CFC Manager Eccles expressed his disappointment in the performance and demanded more in future from his squad if they are to stay top and continue their challenge for the league title.

Chipping are on the road again this weekend facing Cottam Corinthians away 2pm KO.