Chipping were finally back in action at the weekend.

Jack Fletcher, who made his debut with Chipping's first team at the weekend.
Jack Fletcher, who made his debut with Chipping's first team at the weekend.
Share this article

Mid Lancs League Shakespeare Cup Round 3

Chipping FC 6 Newman College 2

Chipping were back in action this weekend after a long absence from competition due to the bad weather, only their third game since the Christmas break.

Chipping started the game hungry and got straight onto the front foot having all the possession and all the chances and despite being the stronger side, Chipping conceded the first goal when against the run of play Newman broke forward and caught the Chipping defence napping. The striker ran at Pearson, then at Coupe before unleashing his shot across goal and into the bottom corner.

The game restarted and Chipping continued to press as they had been. There was a sense their goal was coming. Chances for Bibby and Ross both went begging before J Harrison finally equalised. R Green clipped an eloquent ball forward and right into the path of J Harrison, who controlled before composing himself and sliding the ball home.

Chipping hit a second soon after when they won a freekick 25 yards out. The Newman box was packed with shirts of both colours when the kick was taken. It was taken craftily with a simple knock sideways for Hollis to run onto and fire through the congested penalty box and into the back of the net to put Chipping 2-1 up right on the half time whistle.

At the break Eccles demanded his men take the chances they were working so hard to create and put the game to bed. The sides returned to the field unchanged and the second half kicked off.

Chipping’s third goal would come early in the second half from a corner. Bibby lofted the ball into the box and the keeper came out to claim, he fumbled his catch and the ball bounced off the full back and into the vacant net to put Chipping two goals to the good. The home side maintained the work rate they had shown all game and pushed on for a fourth to kill the game off. They thought they had it too when Chipping cleared their lines after a corner. After some trickery to beat his man Bibby rounded the keeper and slotted home only to see the referee had stopped the game for a head injury at the other end of the pitch, the goal would not stand.

The home side’s pressure was constant and Newman were finding it hard to deal with. On 60 minutes Holt curled the ball forward over the defence and Ross got onto the end of it. He battled for the ball, going shoulder to shoulder with his man, before striking hard only to see his effort whistle agonisingly over the crossbar! Ross broke again minutes later under similar circumstances but this time forced a save from the goalkeeper who was unable to hold onto the shot and it fell for J.Harrison to tap in for his second of the game. Newman got themselves another goal straight after when a defensive mix up gifted them their second.

Eccles began to look to freshen things up and so brought on Fletcher giving him his 1st team debut after showing great potential for Chipping under 18’s so far this season. Another change was made 10 minutes later when R.Green gave way to Eccles.

Another calamitous own goal from Newman widened the deficit further before Bibby put the final nail in the coffin, Holt with the assist.

J Harrison left the field to applause after his brace and was replaced by P Harrison to see out the final minutes of the game.

Chipping progress into the quarter finals of the Cup whilst also sitting in a very healthy third position in the league with games in hand on the two teams above.