Villagers’ bus battle continues

Sabden bus protest latest (s)
Sabden bus protest latest (s)
0
Have your say

The battle may be over but the war is not lost. That is how villagers in Sabden are feeling this week after a last ditch bid to overturn a decision to axe their one and only bus service failed.

Hopes were high that the decision would be looked at again after five county councillors requested that the decision made earlier this month not to support a proposal to put out tenders for a new two hourly bus service in Sabden be “called in”.

But when Lancashire County Council’s Scrutiny committee met on Friday the motion was voted out, eight to four.

The news came as a major blow to residents who have formed their own protest group in a bid to reinstate a bus service for the currently isolated village.

A meeting was held last week and around 300 people went along to the launch of Save Our Service Sabden Action Group. A petition has been launched online and on social media campaigners are vowing to fight the decision “to the death”.

Sabden resident and business Mr Paul McKenna said he had been speaking with county councillors to discuss the next move.

He said: “The service was subsidised and we are arguing that point to the end.” WCAT 19-05-16 WEB ONLY sabdencallin SUE