DCSIMG

Going, going... foundry is almost gone

There it was  the old foundry bites the dust as Dewhurst Constructions demolition job is almost complete

There it was  the old foundry bites the dust as Dewhurst Constructions demolition job is almost complete

Local company Dewhurst Construction has made good progress on clearing its site on Inglewhite Road as it moves forward with plans for the area.

Demolition of the old Ryan’s Foundry was almost complete at the beginning of this week.

Work on removing the building has been carried out in stages by the company’s team over the previous weeks.

The former car park on the opposite side of road is now for sale. There are plans here for a terrace of four three-
bedroom properties.

The car park was once the site of the Bond Belmont Foundry which was set well back from the road and was demolished many years ago

Both foundries started with the advent of the railway link to Longridge and were brass and iron foundries which specialised in producing brass fittings for ships.

The Ryan’s building was first known as the Poplar Foundry. This was established about 1870 by the sons of the then proprietors of Tweedys at Chipping.

The trading name was Bond and Co, and around 1890 an association was made with Davey and Co Ltd, a company from London. The name then changed to Bond Davey and Co and it traded under that name until 1932 when the company ran into financial trouble.

The firm was reconstituted as Poplar Foundry Ltd under the ownership of Bert Duckworth and he owned and ran the company until 1949. It was then acquired by the Blackburn family and traded under the name of Longridge Foundry Ltd until it closed in 1971.

In recent months, the building and the former car park have been the subject of planning applications for housing.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page